Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The feel of an impending summer


Despite a cool undertow of some light wind, the feeling of the warmth of summer pervades today.
She has reared her head and starting to wake up, though 'winter' is not over yet.

This is important for me, as one who loves to garden, to pick up this tactile information from my surrounds.
There are consequences which relate to some food plants I have thriving at the moment.
.
Broccoli and leek, being cold season plants, (just like southern relatives) will be ready to leave soon.
So I will eat them whilst they are at their best.
The heat, which will just increase from now on, will be the end of them so I need to get them first.

If humans didn't pick up these nuances in the past, we would have died out.




Broccoli has such beautiful coloured leaves. 

A lovely change of hue to the evergreen of always green, of every kind of green kind of plants we live with 'cause this is the tropics!

Bring on some flowers, I say.....




Nasturtium and marigold (Calendula officianalis

Beautiful to look at and lovely to eat...

The nasturtium flowers; which I have been sharing with friends for the last 2 days; are stuffed with a philly cheese and mixed with spring onions and garlic chives from the garden.

The marigold gets tossed over the salad greens which dresses them up beautifully.....

....and the days are warm enough to enjoy salads all year round.

1 comment:

  1. I love that photo of the water drop on the brocolli....a perfect sphere :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in....